A great podcast with Mike Lindell talking on the “Tell Me Something I Don’t Know” podcast about how Mike invented the MyPillow (and why), how he grew the MyPillow company from 5 employees to 500 in days, and about his cocaine/crack cocaine addictions which ended in 2009. There are also some fun pillow facts in the podcast.
- One of Mike’s first paychecks went towards a very expensive pillow – which didn’t work. So, he kept buying more and more pillows but continued to be uncomfortable all night. Then, Mike came up with the name “MyPillow” and wrote this name all over the house. After coming up with the name, Mike then spent the next 1.5 years inventing the MyPillow.
- After inventing the MyPillow, everything failed, including a kiosk where Mike sold the MyPillows. Fortunately, one of the few people that did buy a MyPillow from the kiosk was a man who ran the Minneapolis Home and Garden Show who liked his MyPillow so much that he called Mike to see if he would like a spot at the show. Mike took the spot and was successful, which led to him being on the road for the next seven years, selling at home shows and fairs across the country.
- In 2011, Mike decided to make “the best infomercial in history”. The infomercial was so successful that MyPillow went from 5 employees to over 500 employees in just 40 days. That success continued, so now MyPillow has sold over 27 million pillows and has over 1500 employees.
- What is so unique about MyPillow? Mike made a pillow that holds the position you adjust it to, yet is soft. He did this by making the MyPillow with 3 different sizes of foam that interlock so the pillow fits you instead of you having to fit the pillow. Then, Mike spent another 2 months making the MyPillow washable and dry-able.
- Mike then talks about his cocaine/crack cocaine addiction, which started in 1984 and ended on January 16, 2001.
- And – some fun facts about pillows:
- The first pillow ever found was in Mesopotamia and was made out of stone.
- Wooden pillows have been found in Japan
- Porcelain pillows have been found in China
- So – it is a good thing we now have the MyPillow instead of stone, wood, and porcelain!